Real Men Seek God

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lesson Two: A REAL Man Lives an Empowered Life

REAL Young Men’s Lesson Two—A Real Man Lives
an Empowered Life
27 Sep 10


Today we will look at the second letter of REAL—E. E stands for empowered. A Real man lives an empowered life.

John 15:8 (NIV)
8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

Empowered = living in God’s power for His purposes = maximal impact for eternity
Not empowered – living in our power for our purposes = minimal impact for eternity

Two Empowered men: Jashobeam/Baniaiah from David’s mighty men!
1 Chronicles 11:11 (NIV)
11 this is the list of David's mighty men: Jashobeam, a Hacmonite, was chief of the officers; he raised his spear against three hundred men, whom he killed in one encounter.
1 Chronicles 11:22-23 (NIV)
22 Benaiah son of Jehoiada was a valiant fighter from Kabzeel, who performed great exploits. He struck down two of Moab's best men. He also went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion.
23 And he struck down an Egyptian who was seven and a half feet tall. Although the Egyptian had a spear like a weaver's rod in his hand, Benaiah went against him with a club. He snatched the spear from the Egyptian's hand and killed him with his own spear.
2 Corinthians 5:17-20 (NIV)
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
Galatians 2:20 (NIV)
20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 
“A young man approached an older Christian with this question: What does it mean as far as this life is concerned to be crucified with Christ? The believer replied, “It means three things: (1) a man on a cross is facing in only one direction; (2) he is not going back; and (3) he has no further plans of his own.” Commenting on this, T. S. Rendall wrote, “Too many Christians are trying to face in two directions at the same time. They are divided in heart. They want heaven, but they also love the world. Remember a crucified man is not coming back; he is not going to return to his old life. Also, a crucified man has no plans of his own. He is through with the vainglory of this life. Its chains are broken and its charms are gone.”
2) So, How do we live empowered?
John 15:5 (NIV)
5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
Nothing means absolute negative—nothing.
Hudson Taylor
“I besought Him to give me some work to do for Him as an outlet for love and gratitude…well do I remember as I put myself, my life, my friends, my all upon the altar, the deep solemnity that came over my soul with the assurance that my offering was accepted. The presence of God became utterably real and blessed and I remember stretching myself on the ground and lying there before Him with unspeakable awe and unspeakable joy. For what service I was accepted I knew not, but a deep consciousness that I was not my own took possession of me which has never since been effaced.”

No comments:

Post a Comment